Wow what a weekend….

Saturday morning, I loaded Dusty and went to ride in the Relay for Life Benefit trail ride sponsored by the Cowboy Church of Marshall County. I *almost* left without a camera, but decided to try out a new harness that I bought from
The general idea is good, but being of the female persuasion, I had a bit of difficulty with fitting this contraption around my anatomy. When I loosened it up, I struggled to keep it in place. So back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I wasn’t feeling my best. The blood pressure is all over the place again. I did manage to get some pretty good shots.

It was a beautiful day for riding, and I got to see lots of folks who I haven’t seen in a while.

When I got home, I took a long nap and felt a bit better when the pressure finally went back down.

I put Buck in a different pasture with Dusty, John, Wiley and the heifers. He wasn’t happy about being in a different pasture and kept testing the fence until he got shocked HARD. This blew his mind and he raced around like a maniac for a solid hour and a half until I finally decided he wouldn’t calm down until I let him go to his “safe spot” in the other pasture. After opening the gate and letting him go there, he instantly stopped the running and was happy again. Crazy old man! I don’t know what it is about that place in the pasture, it’s like his safety zone.

Sunday morning, Chris and I decided to de-worm and trim the goats. Amanda and her Chris came to help. This is usually a mini rodeo because 1. most of my goats are ok with ME touching them, but are very suspicious of anyone else 2. they object quite violently to any type of medication and 3. we were trimming feet too which normally involves being laid down. BUT, Over the winter, my Chris built a ‘milking stand’ similar to this:

This cut the physical human labor and stress on the goats down by at least half. What normally takes us several hours just took two hours. Of course part of the speed may have been the two guys wanting to get done so they could go to the river. LOL

After they left, Amanda and I decided we would go riding. She rode John the Mule and I rode Buck on his first REAL trail ride. He was a firecracker when I first climbed on, that old man likes to GO. His walk amazes me – it almost feels like I’m up on a gaited horse or a giraffe – I can’t decide which. So far he doesn’t seem to be bothered by much on the trail, other than my dogs. He hates them, evidently he decided sometime within the last few days that they are the spawn of satan. Anyway, it was a nice ride of about 2 hours I guess. I never thought I would have another animal who could out walk John the Mule, but Buck does. 🙂 I’m not sure that Chris will ever be able to handle him, because when you first climb on, it’s Katie bar the door. I guess that time will tell with more riding and work, he may settle down a bit.

I gathered up the 4 bull calves and a couple of cows that I’m hoping to send to the auction today. Hopefully the storms that we’re expecting will hold off until we can get them sent off.

That’s about it for now.

Thanks for reading!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: